In class, September 18
- Roy Rosenzweig, “Can History Be Open Source? Wikipedia and the Future of the Past.“
- Larry Sanger, “The New Politics of Knowledge,” Constructing the Digital Universe, 31 July 2006.
- Sage Ross, “We Cannot Allow a Wikipedia Gap!“
- Stacy Shiff, “Know It All: Can Wikipedia Conquer Expertise?” The New Yorker (31 July 2006).
- Dan Cohen, “The Wikipedia Story that’s Being Missed,” Dan’s Digital Humanities Blog, 19 December 2007
Optional: read historian Timothy Messer-Kreuse’s account of his battle with Wikipedia, “The ‘Undue Weight of Truth’ on Wikipedia”
- Watch video: Heavy Metal Umlaut
- Examine Flickr commons
- Blog post: analyze three related Wikipedia pages — what historical debates are raised in their “talk” sections?